Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentine's Day, hope your wallet is ready....

So I was listening to 97.1 today while I was out running a few errands and was amazed by the topic. People were calling in to say that Mike Babcock, Red Wings head coach, should be fired! Are you kidding me? This guy is having a down year for the first time in his career here and people are calling for his head. The Wings have been our best sports team, other than maybe the Shock, since the 90’s. I mean do people really loose all faith in a coach during one bad year, that isn’t even over yet. I was just amazed that these “fans” treated a winner like Babcock about the same as they treated Rod Marinelli.

I also was blown away today by the price of Valentine’s Day cards. I went into Hallmark today to get a birthday card and needed to grab a Valentine’s Day card for my dad to give to my mom. I can’t believe that a piece of folded paper with red and pink ink costs $5. And it is only the romantic cards for wives or girlfriends. Now if you are a kid giving a card to your grandparents, no problem $.99. So what makes the wife/girlfriend card cost 4x as much? I mean does a sappy love poem really command such a premium over the standard “Happy V-day”? Hallmark is turning into one of the oil companies with its gouging. Pretty soon we will all be listening to Matt talk about his new commercial campaign for $19.99 Valentine’s Day cards and Hallmark’s $2 billion 1st quarter profit instead of motor oil!

-knudson

No comments:

Post a Comment